Monday, March 10, 2008

Just a thought. I have not blogged for a while. Tonight I spent the evening with a Soldier who was having difficulty in his life. It's interesting to see how people manage stress or how they try to help. Over the years, I have noticed that most people do not like to be told how to fix their problems. Most people like to talk and in the talking they come up with solutions. I sit and listen, adding a few comments to keep the conversation going or asking a question so that I can get more information. The key to good listening is to listen, of course, and to respond with the right question. Usually, in an hour of listening, I might respond with a minute or two of questions.

I am always amazed how people want to help. However, after a week or a month or two, most tire of the helping process and just want to get on with their own lives because it is more interesting. Most of us spend our time thinking about ourselves, our dreams, our life, or what and where we want to be. It can be our careers, money matters, or our personal relations. Perhaps, that is the purpose of the gospel to keep us others oriented instead of self oriented.

Well, I am tired - to bed.

2 comments:

Chap said...

you are the best listener and question asker that I know! The world needs more people like you!

Christina

Jess said...

I am okay at the listening part, it is the "asking good questions" part that I could work on. Sometimes, somebody bears there soul and all I can think of saying is, "oh yeah? That's too bad." Yes, yes it is.