Tuesday, February 12, 2008







The other day, I heard someone say, why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good
airplane. It makes sense. There have been times in my life when I have thought the same, and I hear similar questions. Why do I get up so early in the morning? Is this all there is to life? Why doesn’t the Army make different MREs (meals ready to eat)? I am tired of sleeping on the ground. When will this deployment be over? When will I be going home? Why is it always raining when we are training? Do we have to go to the range today? That looks a bit scary (rappelling), who is on belay? When is the PT (physical training) test? Let’s see, I have been gone the last three years out of five, you say that the unit I am transferring to is deploying in June.

We all who have trained and been in the Army for a few years have many stories to tell about war, deployment, units where we have served, what we have done and what we have experienced in serving. Hopefully, our service has been rewarding and that we have all felt a sense of accomplishment.

In serving, what I have been most impressed about is the quality of those individuals with whom I have served. There is nothing better than a good jumpmaster who will check out your equipment before existing from a perfectly good airplane. Or, the great NCO (non-commissioned officer) who has your back covered and is always there to advise, support, and to let you know how it might be done a little bit better or differently. We all have experienced those great leaders whom we would go to combat with. And, we all have had the opportunity to trust in others.

One of the most comforting leaders that I know is the Lord. He has always been there for me. He always has my back covered and has listened when I have been scared, alone, away from home, in danger or not quite sure what I should do. He has been there to check my equipment, to lift me up when I am tired and to be on belay as a safety to catch me when I fall. He is my refuge in the storm, and my comfort in times of peace.

As it says in Psalms 121:3-8 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
Just a thought

2 comments:

ash said...

Great thought. Good pic.

Jess said...

Dad, I really like this "Just a Thought." Very well written. Thanks for teaching me through example the value and honor that comes through service.